Monday, September 8, 2014

The Silver Coin Margarita

Nothing is more refreshing and pairs better with green chile dishes than icy, cold margaritas.  I hope you have enjoyed reading my recent posts about New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles.  Our little chile stash is almost depleted, but rest assured.  Every delicious, roasted ounce was put to very good use.

 
 
Now for that Silver Coin Margarita I mentioned last week. 

Also known as a coin-style margarita or a silver margarita, the cocktail traditionally includes silver tequila and Cointreau.  But this version adds brandy which gives it even more dimension.
 

 
 
I came up with this recipe one summer shortly after my Uncle visited from Philly.  
 
He brought Silver Patrón Tequila, among other goodies from Philadelphia that you can’t get in the Midwest, and showed us how to make “a really good margarita”. 

Really good.

I had to adapt my Uncle’s recipe a bit, as his version was a little strong for me, and I added the margarita mix for some sweetness. 
  

 
 
The Silver Coin Margarita – makes 1 large or 2 small
1 ½ ounces Silver Patrón Tequila
¾ ounce Cointreau orange liqueur
¾ ounce brandy
Juice from half a lime
½ cup non-alcoholic margarita mix (I use Mr. & Mrs. T)
Ice

Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.  Add all ingredients and shake until shaker is icy cold.  Pour over ice into a salt-lined margarita glass.
 

Enjoy and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment