Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Asian Inspiration

Happy New Year! Chinese New Year, that is… After attending my first-ever Chinese New Year party this past weekend at a friend’s home, I was inspired to create something culinary of Asian nature. I also remembered that I love Asian Lettuce Wraps, and it has been way too long since I have made them.




By the way, I did learn that I was born during the Year of the Rooster, meaning I am kind-hearted, flexible, hardworking, independent, honest, flamboyant, persuasive, and a big dreamer… sounds pretty good. 


Oh, and I should have good fortune on love, education, traveling and self-growth this year. Sounds really good! 


So, in celebration of 2016 and the Year of the Monkey, here is my recipe for Asian Lettuce Wraps. Enjoy!






Asian Lettuce Wraps
2-3 boneless chicken breast halves, diced
1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
8 ounces cremini or shiitake mushrooms, chopped
Vegetable oil
Iceberg lettuce leaves
Thinly sliced green onions or scallions for garnish
2 tablespoons corn starch
¼ cup water


Marinade 
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup water
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons honey






In a large bowl, combine chicken, water chestnuts and mushrooms. In a small bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients. Pour 1/3 of the marinade over chicken mixture and combine. Allow to marinate 30 minutes. The remaining marinade will be used for a dipping sauce.


In a small saucepan, add remaining marinade and warm over medium-low heat. Combine corn starch and ¼ cup water until dissolved and stir into marinade.


In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and stir fry for approximately 5 minutes, until browned and no longer pink (I cook my chicken in 2- 3 batches to avoid overcrowding in the pan and steaming).





Spoon chicken mixture over lettuce leaves, garnish with green onions or scallions, drizzle with extra sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment