Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Easy as Apple.....Cake?

I don’t know about you, but I was never one to think of apple pie as easy to make - all of that dough rolling and stuff. 

 
 
I do know that nothing smells better than fresh apples baking in the oven.  I’m really not that picky.  Anything apple will do – apple pie, apple tart, apple coffee cake.  You get the picture.

The abundance of apples that are available this time of year just puts me in the mood to bake something decadent.  I have been baking this easy-to-make apple cake for years.  It’s great for breakfast, dessert or tea time, and it always turns out moist and delicious. 
Happy Apple Season!
 

 
 
Apple Cake

½ c pecans, finely chopped - walnuts will work too
3 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
Grated zest of 1 large lime
1 c sugar
1 ½ c all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
⅛ tsp. salt
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped -
I prefer bigger chunks in my cake

Preheat oven to 350°.  Butter a 9-inch round cake pan, sprinkle with nuts tilting pan so sides and bottom are evenly covered. 

In large bowl, whisk eggs, butter, vanilla, lime zest and sugar until smooth.  The lime and vanilla smell so good at this point. 

Add flour, baking soda and salt and blend.  Fold in apples. 

Pour batter into pan.  Bake for 45 minutes. 

*Thank you Wilma for suggesting that I write an apple post this week.  I appreciate the inspiration and support you give me!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment