Sunday, April 5, 2015

Spring Foodie Tour

Today's post is dedicated to my pal Michelle who enlightened me on a few of her favorite spots in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Although my husband and I are frequent flyers to the town (it’s an easy hour drive north), Michelle shared some of her must-go-to places that we hadn't heard of.  It’s amazing what you can learn while having your hair foiled…


 
 
We decided to try all of her suggestions.  I’m still looking for that Shiraz she recommended, but that will have to wait until another day. 
 

 
 
 
First up was lunch at Jolly Pumpkin Café and Brewery on Main Street.  The restaurant was eclectically decorated and pleasantly busy on a chilly spring Saturday. 
 
 
 
 
 
I ordered a salad of mixed greens dressed with house made red wine vinaigrette and a Margherita pizza.  Its crust was made from a 100-year-old sourdough starter. 
 
That’s some old dough…
 

 
 
 
My husband enjoyed his Walleye Po’ Boy and Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere.  We agreed that we would make a return visit soon. 
 

 
 
 
Next up…Cherry Republic, just a block away from Jolly Pumpkin. 
 
Here all of the products are made from Michigan cherries grown on the hillsides overlooking Lake Michigan. 
 
 
 
 
There were cherry wines, preserves, jams, salsas and even barbeque sauces.  We didn’t sample much (we were kind of full from lunch), but we brought home a jar of cherry preserves. 
 
I like that the preserves contain whole cherries and there is just the right blend of tartness and sweetness. 
  

 
 
Our final destination was to Fustini’s, an olive oil and balsamic vinegar company, located in the Kerrytown Shops. 
 
The chocolate balsamic vinegar caught my eye (would be unbelievable on vanilla ice cream), but our mission was to pick up a bottle of the 18 year aged balsamic vinegar. 
 
Michelle told me to trust her because it’s worth the price….so I did, and she is right on.  It’s rich and smooth and was a real hit with the strawberry spinach salad I served on Easter.
 

 
 

Three great suggestions from a friend…here’s to more foodie adventures in Ann Arbor.

 
 
 
Happy Spring!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment