Monday, June 9, 2014

Unexpected Treasure

One of the things I love about living in the Midwest is the abundance of old farmhouses and historical homes. 

As I was out and about on a recent Saturday, I unexpectedly stumbled upon a lawn sale at this awesome old home in Bedford Township.


Historical cabin in Michigan
 

Must stop for lawn sale……..
 

Pretty window with lace curtains
 

I parked my Jeep and grabbed my camera because this place was even cuter up close. 

The lawn sale was actually a fundraiser being held by the local historical society to benefit the continued restoration of the home. 
 

Side view of the cabin's addition
 

After speaking with one of the volunteers, I learned that the structure was built in the 1830s.  

And it once served as a summer home of Ina Duley Ogdon, a poet, hymn writer, and author, who was most noted for her composition “Brighten the Corner Where You Are.”

 

Window on original cabin
 

The home was not open for tours, but I did sneak a peek into the main cabin room which had a massive stone fireplace. 

I heard that the house is decorated for the holidays and is open to the public, so I will be making a return visit later this year. 
 

Treasures I found at the lawn sale
 

For today though, I was able to snap a few exterior pictures, find a few treasures, and learn about a little piece of history of our region.



So glad I stopped…

 

A story about a female spy - written in the 1800's
 

Have a great week!
 
 
Love this apple green and orange red together
 

No comments:

Post a Comment