Monday, February 10, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day, Cupcake

Have I mentioned that I don’t bake much?  It’s not that I don’t want to.  It’s just that I don’t think I’m very good at it. 


Strawberry cupcakes for Valentine's Day
 
 
First of all, I can’t even touch flour without completely wearing it.  And then there’s the whole follow the recipe exactly part which is probably most of my problem.  I love to cook; however, cooking is much different than baking.  One can substitute this or that and modify dishes according to taste. 

But baking is another story.   I suppose there is some room for modification in baking, but we’ll leave that to the Marthas and Julias of the world.
 

Ready for frosting


Last week, my co-worker Debbie made a delicious strawberry cake for our office potluck.  When she shared the recipe with me, my first reaction was, “You mean I have to make it from scratch?”   Debbie assured me that it is very easy to make.  Here's the recipe

 
A very sweet little treat

 
Donning my apron with wooden spoon in hand, I decided to go bold.  I would not only bake this treat, but I would convert the recipe into cupcakes!  I consulted my local baker friend who told me to simply adjust the time.  Start with 15 minutes.  If the cakes bounce back when you touch the middles, they are done.  If they are soft, add another 5. 

Wouldn’t you know - they turned out pretty darn good.  And all I had to do was follow the recipe.

Happy Valentine’s Day!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment