Wednesday, November 27, 2013

It's all in the Details

As I ponder over the final details, I have to keep reminding myself that by 10 a.m. on Friday, it will all be over.  The company will be on their way home, the kitchen will be clean, and I will have had at least a few decent hours of sleep. 




But still, I can’t help wondering how I’m going to organize the sea of food on the buffet, if there will be enough table space for everyone, if the new dressing recipe will turn out, what to do with the dog and cat.
I’m no stranger to hosting holiday events for my husband’s large family.  While the task may seem daunting at times, I take comfort in knowing that I've pulled this off before.   So for now, I will focus on the small things that make the day special.
Before I know it, Friday morning will be here just in time to break out the Christmas decorations. 
Happy Thanksgiving!
 


Spiced Nuts
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 large egg white
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 cups walnut halves
Preheat oven to 325°.  Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly butter it.  In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, salt and pepper.
 

In a medium bowl, whisk egg white until frothy.  Add sugar mixture and whisk.  Whisk in orange zest.  Add walnuts and stir until coated.  Spread on baking sheet in an even layer.  Bake and stir every 10 minutes to loosen, until golden about 25 minutes.


 
Cranberry Apple Relish
¾ orange juice
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash ground cloves
1 12-ounce package cranberries
1 large apple, peeled and cored
In a saucepan combine orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.  Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Add cranberries and apples.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook and stir for 3 or 4 minutes until cranberries pop.  Chill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment